Kids and water can be a wonderful combination. If your child is in a therapy program, then aquatics may be a great addition to their current treatment. Aquatic therapy is a pool based treatment program with wonderful benefits for kids.
- The resistance of the water increases strength and the ability to move the joints.
- Aquatic therapy is more comfortable since the water makes it easier to handle the kids.
- There is constant sensory input because the water stimulates the body with gentle movement and pressure.
- Muscles relax and are easier to stretch because the pool is heated.
- Working in the water lets kids do things they may not be able to do on land.
- Kids can work harder in the water than on the land because it takes less effort and is more fun.
- Also, it’s a natural experience and the kids love it!
Your child’s therapy program is developed by a licensed, trained Physical or Occupational Therapist to address your child’s specific needs. Children who use a wheelchair or other assistive devices to walk on land can often swim or walk with virtually no assistance in the water. Aquatic therapy may be very useful for children who can no longer tolerate land-based exercises or for whom traditional therapy has become too difficult.
What can be effectively treated with Aquatic Therapy?
- Decreased strength
- Decreased tolerance to weight bearing
- Orthopedic injuries (fractures)
- Juvenile arthritis
- Sensory impairments
- Decreased motor planning
- Abnormal muscle tone
- Impaired head and trunk control
- Neurological disorders
- Respiratory problems
Adapted Swim Lessons
Adapted Swim Lessons are for kids who move, learn, or communicate differently. The goal of the program is to prepare children to be successful in mainstream group swim lessons. Our instructors are trained to modify water safety and swim skills to meet the needs of each individual child. Adapted Swim Lessons help children 4–10 years of age become comfortable in the water and teaches basic water safety. No prior swim experience is required to enroll. In this 25-minute class, instructors will help students learn safety around pool areas, safely entering and exiting the pool, and basic swim skills. Adapted Swim Lessons are not covered by insurance. Contact us for more information and enrollment.